HERE’S A LIST of phrases. I love lists, and this one came to me at about 4 AM, right after I had shopped in my head for the Christmas list, baked in my head for the Christmas dinner and generally had exhausted all else. So, this list.
But what is it a list of, exactly?
Can you tell?
Read it through before you look at the last line.
- About you
- Reading me your datebook
- A mere list of hurts
- An unedited list of complaints against the world
- A place to seek revenge and nothing but revenge
- Merely one big book beginning at your birth and ending with what you ate today for lunch
- An inside joke
- A liar’s playground
- A place to make someone else feel inferior
- A confessional where you go for absolution
That’s right, it’s a list I now call, “Memoir is Not.” If you know me, you know how I love my lists.
These are what memoir is not supposed to be, never should be and was never intended to be. At least, according to me.
What can you add?