Are we just meeting for the first time? Here’s a gift for stopping by. I asked the very best memoir writers in the world for their twenty top tips for writing memoir, and they’ve written them — for you, and included excerpts from their most recent books as examples of how to write memoir. I’ve put them in the order you’ll need them to write memoir of any length. Use them as an at-home course. Share them with friends. Come back to them again and again.
Don’t have time to read them all, and want a quick course in writing memoir? Then, in this order, read 1, 2, 5, 9 & 20 and write on. But write. The world is waiting to read your work.
1. A definition of memoir
2. How to begin a memoir
3. Finding the message in your memoir
4. How to write about an exceptional life experience
5. How to write a first draft
6. How to write about your family
7. How to recall details from your life
8. How to access the details of your life
9. How to write great characterization of yourself and others
10 When to fictionalize a memoir
11. How to tell the truth when writing memoir
12. More on telling the truth when writing memoir
13. How to quiet the voices in your head and write a memoir you’d like to read
14. The truth and consequence of writing memoir
15. How to take a personal topic and make it public
16. What to leave in your memoir
17. Writing from a question you want answered
18. What to share when writing memoir
19. Know your audience when writing memoir
20. How to execute the perfect rewrite
Want to work with Marion Roach Smith to write memoir? I now teach four online memoir writing classes, and work as a memoir coach. Come see me and let me teach you how to get started writing memoir, how to move your writing along, or how to finish what you’ve got.